Pages

Saturday 21 May 2011

Week Two

Thank you for coming and reading my second blog!!

This week has been a good week.  We have bought some ewe nuts - and I am introducing feeding them every two days - so we can get the gimmers in easier and to get them eating food other than grass. My dad bought me some old wood and I have made a gate so I can get to the gimmers eaiser instead of turning the electric fence on and off. This weekend I am going to make some more gates out of the panels in the field. I have divided the field into two and they are called Long View and Camp Fire.

I thought I would tell you a bit about the Suffolk Sheep Society history:

  • The Suffolk began by mating two different breeds: A Norfolk Horn ewe with a Southdown ram. They first did this in the Bury St Edmunds area, these sheep were know as Southdown Norfolks, or locally, as "Black faces."
  • The first classes to exhibit Suffolk Sheep were at the Suffolk Show in 1859.
  •  The first flock book was published in 1887. This had 46 flocks ranging in size from 50 to 1,100 ewes and averaging 314 ewes. All 46 flocks were in East Anglia and 34 were in Suffolk itself.
  •  The oldest flock was E.P. & H. Frost of West Wratting, established in 1810
  • The breed expanded rapidly, with the first flock in Ireland established in 1891, in 1895 in Scotland and 1901 in Wales.
  • From the earliest days sheep were exported around the world, to Austria, France, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, North and South America and the colonies.
  •  Lambing was in February or March, outdoors in the fields with a hurdle shelter or in open yards surrounded by hurdles and straw.
Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you will read again next week.

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment