Pages

Saturday 16 July 2011

Week Nine and Ten

I have been on holiday to France for the past week so I have not been able to keep you up to date.
When I came back from France I saw that one of the gimmers looked lame. I asked my dad to come and have a look just to make sure that I was not imagining things. We took the foot shears and the spray as well as the string. Dad said that I was correct and there was a problem on the front left leg of one of the gimmers.  We had to move the ewes from one side of the field to the other. (I had to get them through the small gate with food) Once they were through I had to set up the pens with dad. We had left gates up from last time we had to work with them. We put some wire up so when we try and get them in they will not run the other way. Once I had got them in I got dad to tip her up as I am not strong enough. I saw a hole in the top of her leg. Dad said it was an abscess that had bust and it wasn't that bad but we put some spray on it to make sure that the flys wouldn't attack it. Two days after we treated it, she is putting presure on her leg again and that is a great sign. If it does get worse again we will give her an injection of penicillin.

There is no more to tell you about my sheep but there is some more show results:

Great Yorkshire Show:
Champion: Lilburn Estates Farming Partnership, Wooler, Northumberland
Reserve Champion: Lilburn Estates Farming Partnership, Wooler, Northumberland

Well done Lilburn Estates Farming Partnership.

As I am just starting in the farming world could any pedigree farmer who uses BASCO tell me how to use it, that will be great. I also need to learn how to read the notches in th ears to be able to trace their history.

Jack

Penicillin = Penicillin (sometimes abbreviated PCN or pen) is a group of antibiotics derived from Penicillium fungi.

No comments:

Post a Comment